Though you can’t literally eat a rainbow, you can consume a rainbow of colors in your produce. Because beneficial vitamins and phytochemicals are found in a variety of fruits and vegetables, to get enough of them in your diet means consuming a spectrum of produce. Certain colors are equated with certain nutrients*, too, such as orange and the antioxidant beta-carotene. Foods sharing the same color have specific properties that target specific diseases. Cancer experts recommend eating from each of the following rainbow groups daily as a measure of prevention:Continue reading “Eating a Rainbow Every Day”
Here’s what you need to know…Continue reading “Control the Damage From Overeating”
- Life isn’t fair, but it’s still good.
- When in doubt, just take the next small step.
- Life is too short not to enjoy it.
- Your job won’t take care of you when you are sick. Your friends and family will.
- Cry with someone. It’s more healing than crying alone.
- Make peace with your past so it won’t screw up the present.
- Don’t compare your life to others. You have no idea what their journey is all about.
- If a relationship has to be a secret, you shouldn’t be in it.
- Take a deep breath. It calms the mind.
- Whatever doesn’t kill you really does make you stronger.
- It’s never too late to be happy. But it’s all up to you and no one else.
- When it comes to going after what you love in life, don’t take no for an answer.
- Burn the candles, use the nice sheets, wear the fancy lingerie. Don’t save it for a special occasion. Today is special.
- Frame every so-called disaster with these words, ‘In five years, will this matter?’
- Forgive but don’t forget.
- What other people think of you is none of your business.
- Time heals almost everything. Give Time time.
- However good or bad a situation is, it will change.
- Don’t take yourself so seriously. No one else does.
- Don’t audit life. Show up and make the most of it now.
- Your children get only one childhood.
- All that truly matters in the end is that you loved.
- Envy is a waste of time. Accept what you already have, not what you think you need.
- No matter how you feel, get up, dress up and show up.
- The best is yet to come…
If you’re trying to diet and finding it too tough to restrict calories because you’re always starving, fiber may be just what you’re lacking. “It keeps you feeling fuller for longer,” says Sandra Meyerowitz, MPH, RD, a nutritionist and owner of Nutrition Works in Louisville, Ky. “You don’t get as hungry as quickly, so it helps when somebody’s trying to cut back on calories.”Continue reading “Fiber: The Diet Workhorse”
When you’re struggling to walk down the stairs the day after a tough workout, should you view your soreness as proof you worked hard, or as a sign you overdid it? The truth is somewhere in between. Let’s learn about where soreness comes from and how to keep it from making you miserable.Continue reading “Why Your Muscles Get Sore and What You Can Do About It”
Diagrams That Make Cooking So Much Easier
Including easy ingredient substitutions, meat cuts, and more.
Everyone is looking for that elusive, magic weight-loss trick. The only “magic” weight-loss trick I know of is strength training – weight-bearing exercise designed to build and strengthen your muscles. That’s what this section of my site is all about toning and firming those muscles!
Continue reading “Toning Overview” Muscles work miracles on your metabolism. For every pound of muscle you add, you automatically burn and extra 35 to 50 calories per day. The reason? Muscle demands more energy than fat does. Therefore, the more muscle you build, the more calories you body burns.
Muscles work miracles on your metabolism. For every pound of muscle you add, you automatically burn and extra 35 to 50 calories per day. The reason? Muscle demands more energy than fat does. Therefore, the more muscle you build, the more calories you body burns.